Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thin Mint Cake

I've officially entered my 30's. Kinda cool. Kinda crazy. I had pinned this thin mint cake from i am baker months ago knowing it would be my birthday cake. I even told my husband I would make it, which I did. But he assembled and frosted it and did a beautiful job, telling me that he tried to make it blog-worthy.


A few notes about this cake. You use a boxed cake mix. You add banana and cinnamon.

Here were my initial thoughts. I could taste the banana and cinnamon because I knew it was in there. My husband, who has a very sophisticated palate, could not taste them until I had told him they were in there. The texture was very much like a boxed cake mix, just a little more moist because of the banana.


Texture aside, I really liked this cake. I go crazy for anything chocolate mint, so it is a perfect match for me. Next time I make it I'm going to make a chocolate cake from scratch and add in the peppermint extract, cinnamon, and banana. I used a different buttercream recipe than i am baker's, and thought it was good. Really easy, too.


Thin Mint Cake
from i am baker
Printer Friendly Version

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup water
2 sticks butter (softened)
4 eggs
1/2 ripe banana, mashed
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. + 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a mixer on low for thirty seconds, then increase speed to medium and mix until just combined.

Pour into prepared pans (I used two 8 in pans) and bake for 30-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
from Gale Gand

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.

25 comments:

  1. I am not generally a fan of chocolate cake, especially if it has chocolate icing, but I'm planning on adding this one to my shopping list. I love chocolate mint (other than York) and vanilla butter icing. This entire recipe appeals (no pun intended) to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "thin mint." Beautiful Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love chocolate and mint. I've been looking for a cake to make for my birthday...and maybe I just found it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy :) You can tell your husband it definitely looks blog worthy :)

    Ashton
    http://www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursday} Thu-Sun

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday! i'm nuts about that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this looks so good. I'm pinning this because I need to give this a try!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks so good. I think I might make it for my hubby's and my anniversary. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks yummy and pretty easy to make. I would have loved to try that out only if I did not struggle so much with cakes. I have a high unsuccessful ratio with baking cakes :(

    I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. Would be glad to see some of your awesome posts there. See ya at the party.

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow would I love this cake. Two of my favorite flavors mint and chocolate. What could be better!! Come over and visit us. We have some wonderful Southern recipes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds delish...im going to have to try this! thanks!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a wonderful dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, happy birthday! I've been in my 30's for two years now and it's pretty great! Thanks for sharing this. It was surely a fantastic birthday cake. I repinned to Pinterest to be sure I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mint and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations. Yum! Enjoy being 30...it is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy!

    I'd love for you to share your cake on my link party... I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. I hope to see you back tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this does look delicious and is the perfect birthday cake for you. My husband loves chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. I'll have to add this to my to-do list. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delish.

    Thanks for sharing with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum...chocolate and mint. What a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I'd like to invite you back this week.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds amazing- I love anything chocolate and mint too!! I am going to have to try it! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Link Party every Saturday! We would love to have you come back tomorrow and link up some more amazing stuff! :)
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. My sister would love me even more if I made this cake for her. Pinning it!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete